Cookies

Sunday 7 August 2011

GHOST MONTH CELEBRATIONS





August is the season ruled by Sirius, the Dog Star. But the Dog Days bring more than hot weather. The planets move in odd formations, intensifying our emotions and off-beat thought throughout the month. One day, life is beautiful, and the next it could be strange. Seriously, the partial planetary alignments intensify every part of our selves: the good, bad, the indifferent, and the not-so-aligned pieces. This is Astrology but for the Taoists, it is the Ghost month, where released wandering spirits roam and do mischief. I have observed that one of the ways this is manifested is the number of motor vehicle accidents happening on roads that is not known to be prone to accidents. This just occurred on a road that I know very well as I use it daily. It was a three car pile up. Folks, just be extra careful this whole month of August!

The Taoists will pray to appease these wandering spirits so that the neighbourhood will be peaceful and business will thrive. These photos depicts the festival and it was not easy for me to take the photos as I had to travel round the whole town to catch these before they are taken down. I had in fact missed some very huge celebrations because I was too late to get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment