Cookies

Tuesday 1 April 2014

CHILE EARTHQUAKE AND TSUNAMI ALERT

Before I could post another article I intend to write, the 8.2 Chile Earthquake makes headlines. It shook Peru and Bolivia and within 45 minutes the first tsunami wave hit the Chilean coast. The quake struck on 1st April, 61 miles (99 kilometers) northwest of the Chilean city of Iquique at 8:46 p.m., hitting a region that has been rocked by numerous quakes over the past two weeks. Even as I write this, several after shocks are being reported, averaging 5.0 A magnitude-8.8 quake and ensuing tsunami in central Chile in 2010 killed more than 500 people, destroyed 220,000 homes, and washed away docks, riverfronts and seaside resorts. That quake released so much energy, it actually shortened the Earth's day by a fraction of a second by changing the planet's rotation. The strongest earthquake ever recorded on Earth also happened in Chile — a magnitude-9.5 tremor in 1960 that killed more than 5,000 people. California had about 100 shocks in the last 2 weeks and I think the ‘Quake from Hell” could occur there. So, as I had written in my last postings, April is going to be very memorable in our history. As usual, I end with this Blessings to All, OR NI TOR FOR. [The map below will have to be re-calculated as it was based on the 8.0 scale of Earthquake]

No comments:

Post a Comment