Cookies

Tuesday 18 October 2011

THE LITTLE TEMPLE OFF ROAD


In my wanderings one day, I chance upon a very unknown and little Taoist Temple off the beaten track. Unlike other temples, which are bigger and well constructed by master craftsmen brought in form China, this one is only a small hut converted to a temple. This very much intrigued me. What is the story behind this small, insignificant Temple?

There was no visitor other than me and I spotted an old man who must be the care taker. I took some joss sticks and candles, made a small donation and proceeded to pray and pay respect to the Taoist deities, the main one being the Monkey God. It was almost dusk and the caretaker was about to close the temple and was not in too good a mood to answer the questions I posed to him. I left with more questions in my mind- why a temple in this remote place, where no outsider will ever find it? I discovered it because I usually wander about in remote places to be with Nature, in the free time that I have. I really admire these local people. No temples in my country are government aided – all survive on the donations by the public and devotees. For the same reason- all Churches survive on their own. I take my hat off to the owners of this small temple in the remote area that serves about 5 households I spotted along the way. Many temples – Hindu and Taoist – had been torn down by authorities when it was discovered that the place of worship is sitting on government land without any permit. Even the gods have no peace here.

No comments:

Post a Comment