Cookies

Monday 3 September 2012

Thousands join grand send-off for King of Hades

Thousands join grand send-off for King of HadesBUKIT MERTAJAM, Malaysia - About 10,000 devotees thronged Jalan Pasar in Malaysia to offer prayers and to see the burning and grand send-off of the 8m-tall Tai Su Yeah (King of Hades) - said to be the tallest in the country, The event was the culmination of the 15-day Bukit Mertajam Phor Thor (Hungry Ghost Festival) celebration. The Jalan Pasar stretch was closed to traffic from 8pm on Sunday until midnight. The effigy was wheeled out to the middle of Jalan Pasar at 10pm and set alight. The crowd, many of them with joss sticks in hand, watched in awe as the flames engulfed the effigy, a ceremony to symbolise the departure of the deity back to Hades. Bukit Mertajam Phor Thor committee chairman Datuk Tan Cheang Heng said more than 150,000 people paid homage to the deity at the communal altar throughout their 15-day celebration. "Some of them even came from Singapore, Thailand and Indonesia," he said. The celebration of the Hungry Ghost Month by Taoists is a grand celebration especially in Penang.Recently I had attended one conducted by my Spiritual Master. I was guilty of not visiting him for over a year and this time he called me to see him and also attend some special prayers.I knew he misses me. However we could hardly talk as many of his followers came for the celebration and prayers. When I left his Meditation Abode,I said," Master, see you in one years' time!" He knew how busy I am and I am glad he now has several helpers to attend to his daily needs.The parting gift for me this time was a blessing and a new prayer to add to my daily meditation and chants! I shall soon post some photos of this visit. Selamat Jai!!

No comments:

Post a Comment